Sunday, October 2, 2011

Work

Throughout my time studying Occupational Therapy, work has been discussed often and i now view it differently. Rather than viewing it as a daily necessity to earn a living, i see it as a large part of everything that we do including: values, culture, self expression, spirituality, creating and learning, and workmanship. I have also learnt that work and labour are two different things. Arendt (1958) describes work as activity that involves unnatural things within the world, whereas labour involves biological processes. I believe that although work is a very linear process, everyone can work very differently. Personally, i like to structure my work and i believe this helps me to be creative and work harder. However, i know that not everyone works this way, especially when being creative. I believe that the unnatural part of our world is something that we have great control over, and therefore should alter it so it is beneficial, interesting and enjoyable to each of us.

Arendt, H. (1958). The human condition (2nd ed.). Chicago: Chicago University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment