Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Participation in Occupation 2

Welcome to the second part to my Participation in Occupation paper. Participation in Occupation 2 focuses on my reflections of experiences involved with an activity of my choice. In our tutorial this week we discussed what activities are meaningful to us, what activities we do each day and what area these activities fit into. After discussing these points I have decided to focus on the activity of cooking!
Cooking

From a young age i have always been interested in cooking. I grew up with my mum cooking every meal from scratch, normally with fresh ingredients from her garden and off our farm. I always enjoyed helping mum with preparing meals and she has taught me just about everything i know about cooking. I believe that cooking is great example of teaching and learning as it can be done in many different ways, as everyone learns, teaches, and cooks differently. I have especially been aware of this when travelling as traditions are a big part of cooking. In cooking, measurements, methods, ingredients and recipes  can vary from country to country and from family to family. From my experiences, i believe that recipes can easily be adapted to suit the consumer. My mum has taught me what ingredients can substitute others, to slowly introduce flavours that are new to those eating it and that if something doesn't seem right, change it so you are happy with it. Growing up i was very fortunate to be able to experience seasonally fresh ingredients. This has lead me to finding cooking as something that is very expressive. I believe that you can tell a lot about a person by what colors, tastes, and textures they use. I chose the topic of cooking most importantly as i find it very relaxing. I cook almost everyday and find that after cooking something, no matter how simple it is, it is very rewarding. I have decided that i am going to cook 5 nights a week in my flat. This will sometimes be alongside my flat mates. I find it a challenge to prepare meals in my flat as not all ingredients are available due to cost. Cooking and OT link as cooking can be used as a way to grade someones level of independence and also give others a greater understanding of ones culture, belief and traditions. I am looking forward to furthering my skills as i believe cooking is a very important area of occupational therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment